This field trip is for WOS members. Participants must be fully vaccinated. Carpooling is available. Trip leader is Matt Yawney.
Maximum number of registrants: 10. Contact Matt to sign up at 509 964 6594 (cell) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Plan: Drive to Northrup Canyon (25 mins)- hike into Northrup Canyon- 2-3 miles in (so 4-6 miles total). Targets will be finches, thrushes, Golden Eagle, chickadees, kinglets, nuthatch, Pygmy Owl if lucky.
- Northrup Point- Gulls
- Steamboat Rock State Park- Waterfowl, loons, grebes.
- Golf Course- Look for Western Bluebirds
- Electric City- Gulls
- Grand Coulee Dam- Gulls
- Upper Grand Coulee Plateau- Look for Lapland Longspur (may only hear- often difficult to see, but we’ll try), Horned Larks, Snow Buntings (it may be too early for these), raptors, Gray Partridge if lucky, Gray-crowned Rosy Finch if lucky.
- Coulee City Park- Gulls, loons, grebes.
- If time remains we can also check Banks Lake from the dam, Dry Falls, Sun Lakes State Park, and the chain of lakes through the coulee corridor (which should have plenty of waterfowl and loons (only common is expected but we could get lucky). Soap Lake. If time permits we can visit Rocky Ford Creek (Trout Lodge)fish Hatchery where there are sometimes good photo-ops for Virginia Rail and Sora.
The plan is to bird the whole day, until the sun sets. (Many of the stops are just 5-10 minute stops, but others like Northrup Canyon can be several hours.) We can bring our lunch with us. Bring warm clothes in case it’s cold.